Sunday, April 22, 2018

Crocheting in Russian


Yesterday, I found a pattern by Ukrainian designer - Holly by Viktoriia Gul. I've always admired her work, and she's just started designing her own doily pieces recently. I saw Holly and I really wanted to make it, but the problem was that she only wrote the pattern in Russian. Crochet terminology, as fiber artists know, is a completely different language in itself.

Usually, this would not be a problem since many Russian and Eastern European designers chart their patterns rather than write them, to make the instructions universal.  However, as a new designer myself, I've realized how hard it is just to write a crochet pattern that I couldn't imagine trying to chart it, especially since my designs are textured and not flat like many charted patterns.

So I did more research on Russian crochet terminology. What I found out was that there's not a good resource for translating patterns from Russian to English. Here's what I gathered from Holly to use on other patterns as well.

I don't know any Russian, so please use this translation below at your own risk. I plan on updating this list as I try out more written Russian patterns. :)

Russian to American Crochet Terminology Translation


Соединить = Join
Начальный = chainless 
Начальный ССН = Chainless Starting Double Crochet (CSDC)
HCCH = CSDC

Basic Stitches
CT = skip
ССТ = SLST
ВП  = chain

СБН = SC
ПСН = HDC (half double crochet)
CCH = DC (double crochet)
CC2H = TR (triple crochet)
CC3H = DTR (double treble crochet)
CC4H = TRTR (triple treble crochet)

Кластер = cluster
Кластеров = clusters
Попкорн = popcorn
Попкорнов = popcorns
Сплит = split
Сплитов = splits
арки= space
арок = spaces

РЛ = FP (Front Post)
РИ = BP (Back Post)

пико = picots 


Decreases
Убавка-2-СБН = SC2TOG
Убавка-3-СБН = SC3TOG


Directions (not stitches)
в = in or into
соединить в кольцо. = in the circle (to start doily)
Отметить = mark (for special stitch or next rounds)
вокруг  = around
вокруг начального = around the first stitch
ССТ в 1-ю арку = slst into space
в ту же арку = in same space
в ту же арку куда был провязан последний = in previous space just used
в последнюю арку предыдущего ряда = in previous space of last row
в следующую арку = in next space
в последнюю арку предыдущего ряда и следующую арку = in previous space and next space


Last updated: April 23rd, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment