Sunday, April 29, 2018

REVIEW - DMC Baroque Thread

Selection of projects I've completed in DMC - Baroque Thread - Size 10

Ecru:
  • Emily, Japanese Pineapple, Tovi, Mint Crystal, Elysium, Bubble Tea, Moonpetals

White:
  • Emily, Mako, Autumn Reflections, Winter

Review

I started using DMC Baroque thread after finding some skeins from my mom's crochet thread stash. She had bought the thread at a LYS a few years ago. After I used up her four skeins, I bought a few more through Joann's website while it was on sale. 

My favorite color out of the two available is Ecru, which is a beige color. I've never been a fan of white, since it's very obvious when it starts to yellow or gets stains, and Ecru is the closest to an off-white for DMC Baroque. 

Baroque has a thick texture. So after I started to use Baroque more, I realized that I needed to use larger hooks (2.25mm) in order to not have my doily pieces ruffle. Since I did use a larger hook when I used Baroque, my pieces also had larger diameters than listed. 

I think DMC's Baroque would be an ideal thread for bedspreads or something flat. In my opinion, it's not ideal for mini amigurumi or textured doilies due to the feel of the thread. 


Conclusion

Overall, Baroque has a wonderful sheen and thick texture, as it is highly mercerized. It's tightly spun but still soft to the touch. It has a nice feel to use and it's one of my favorites to use. Although the color variety is very limited (currently, it is only available in 2 colors - White and Ecru/Beige), unlike other threads that have a range of colors. That is my reasoning for a 4.5 out of 5 star review, as I got quickly bored of only being able to select from only 2 colors. Baroque used to come in pink, but pink has long been discontinued. 

However, one advantage is that DMC's threads are widely available through Big Box stores and via the manufacturer within the United States. 


Product Information

Brand: DMC
Name: Baroque
Fiber Content: 100% Super Mercerized Cotton 
Weight/Ply: Size 10 Crochet Thread/3 ply
Country of Origin: Made in India
Price per ball (April 2018): $4.29/ball - 416 yds
Where to Buy: Michaels, Joann's, DMC website, Amazon

Overall Rating






4.5 out of 5 Meow-Meows

No comments:

Post a Comment